There’s about as much film news on the web as there are stains on a nun’s mattress right now so just a quick round-up today…
– Will Fox be distributing Warner’s “Watchmen”? A Los Angeles federal judge has ruled that Rothman’s crowd owns the distribution rights to the superhero picture, representing a setback for WB’s plans to release the pic in March. Variety has more on this surprising story..
– Disney has bailed out of co-financing the third movie in Walden Media’s “Chronicles of Narnia” series, according to published reports.
– Twentieth Century Fox’s Jennifer Aniston-Owen Wilson starrer “Marley and Me” led the crowded pack of Christmas Day openers, grossing an estimated $14.8 million from 3,480 playdates to become the best opening ever for Dec. 25.
– Kam Heskin will reprise her role as Paige Morgan – a part she’s played since Julia Stiles hung up the glass slippers after the first film – in a fourth “Prince and Me” film. The new film, set to lens Feb 9, will be directed by Catherine Cyran.
– Tony Todd (“Candyman”), Christopher Showerman (“Big Game”) and Ethan Phillips (TVs “Star Trek : Voyager”) and will star in director Tim ‘Voyager’ Russ’s “A Night at the Bijou”. The film tells of a rock band and group of friends who work at a movie theater who race to find a replacement for their injured drummer in time for their â€œBig Breakâ€ show.
– The creators of the “Gilligan’s Island” TV series want to see Michael Cera (“Superbad”, “Juno”) play the title character in a film version.
– Thomas Jane (“The Mist”) is set to star in a World War II action horror film called ”The Devil’s Commandos”. Its rumoured that Jane will also direct the film.
– A man enraged because a family was talking during a Christmas showing of “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” dealt with the situation by shooting the father and pelting the son with popcorn.
– Shawn Levy tells MTV he nixed a couple of characters from the upcoming “Night at the Museum2″ at the last minute. â€œWe actually had a whole Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong thing, where we were going to have them get into a wrestling match at the door of the capsule, like who goes first,â€ Levy said of a planned cameo from the lunar trotting pair. â€œBut we thought it would be historically blasphemous!â€
– “The Punisher : War Zone” will be skipping theaters altogether in Australia. Rumour has it it’s going direct-to-DVD in April.
– Adam Shankman tells Collider that the “Hairspray” sequel won’t be happening anytime soon. ”That certainly will not happen this year. Thereâ€™s only an outline and weâ€™re out to writers.” Shankman also said the “Topper” remake, something he planned to do with Steve Martin, is “kind of in lame duck land” right now.
– Teresa Palmer is planning to reunite with “2:37″ director Murali K.Thalluri on a film. “When I did 2:37, I had never acted before. It was such a lucky break. He picked me off the street and said come and be in a movie. He’d never done a movie before either. Now we’ve both had a bit more on-set experience, and matured, I think there could be a great collaboration between us.”