There’s been a few interesting bits and pieces on the web this weekend. There’s been a bit of casting news on a very unnecessary remake (for shit’s sake, the original is only just over a year old!) as well as the new “Twilight” sequel (Wife, calm down). First though, here’s a bit of Moviehole-fresh gossip about the next “Beverly Hills Cop”.
– Had a chat to screenwriter Derek Haas (“Wanted”) over the weekend about “Beverly Hills Cop 4”. Some had said that Eddie Murphy and director Brett Ratner had lost interest in the project and jumped aboard other projects. It’s true that both the actor and filmmaker have signed up for a couple of new movies (one of which they’ll do together) but according to Haas, “Cop 4” is still very much a go-project, and one they look set to do sooner rather than later. In fact, Haas says they’re working on a new draft with Ratner as we speak. As for those worried we won’t be seeing Judge Reinhold in the film? (because of rumours his character is, er, the victim of the pic) I’m told there’s a very good chance Rosewood will be returning…. and not just as a corpse.
– Martin Lawrence and Tracy Morgan have jumped aboard the Chis Rock-starring “Death at a Funeral” redo. A large support cast have also been formed for the Neil LaBute-helmed film including “Lethal Weapon” star Danny Glover, and Columbus Short – who, funnily enough, was set to play Glover’s son in “Lethal Weapon 5”, before it fell apart. Sure to come up in conversation.
– Two new photos from Jerry Bruckheimer’s “Prince of Persia” have popped up over at The Huffington Post. The pic, based on a video game (aren’t they all?!), stars Jake Gyllenhaal – and a recently acquired six-pack – as the title character.
– Dakota Fanning is a ‘lock’ to play Jane in The Twilight Saga’s “New Moon”. Meanwhile, co-star Nikkie Reed tells People that the rest of the sequels will be shot back-to-back (and I assume someone from Summit is on Stephenie Meyer’s ass about releasing that fifth book).
– Rosario Dawson says Jaime King may have read the “Sin City 2″ script but she hasn’t. ”She’s working with Frank [Miller] to possibly produce something together”, the actress tells Coming Soon. ”I just talked to Frank about it though and said he finished it a couple of months ago so I’m really excited to get it going. Supposedly it’s going to happen in 2009.” Supposedly…
– Grammy-winning French electronica duo Daft Punk will compose and score music for the “Tron” sequel, which is expected to hit theaters around 2011. EW has more.
– Slashfilm.com report that Kevin Smith’s “A Couple of Cops” will retain it’s original title “A Couple of Dicks”. Meanwhile, I’m still confused why Disney felt they had to rename “Adventures in Babysitting” to “A Night on the Town” for Australian audiences back in ’87.
– Moviehole has 3 in-season double passes up for grabs to see the hit new horror flick “Let The Right One In”. To Win, send your name and address to Clint@moviehole.net. (Sorry, this one’s for Australian audiences only – if only because the film probably isn’t even screening in the states anymore)